Other PicoMicroYacht

Friday 6 September 2019

Rounding the Bill


Selsey Bill is a tricky headland to navigate because it has a series of limestone ledges stretching far out to sea. Yachts are wary and many have been lost here in stormy weather. Perhaps the most well known casualty is the ‘Morning Cloud III,’ a racing yacht belonging to the then UK prime minister, Sir Edward Health. The yacht capsized and sank off the Bill, the crew taking to their life raft. Two people died, including Sir Edward Heath's godson who was swept overboard before the yacht sank.


Selsey Bill on the left with Pagham Harbour infront and the Isle of Wight behind it. The Isle of Wight provides some protection from the prevailing Westerly winds, but not completely.

(from eOceanic)

There is an inside passage about a mile out to sea which goes between two buoys called Boulder and Street. This is reasonably safe, but it means putting your boat in the jaws between dangerous ledges, so it tends to be avoided other than in relatively calm weather.


The ledges of Selsey Bill - the chart highlights the 'Mixon Hole'  the segment of an old river gorge, now submerged, previously used by the Romans for transporting goods.  Boulder and Street are to the bottom left and there are further ledges out to sea not shown on the map

I elected to go close in round the tip of the Bill at high tide, so to have enough water over the ledges. 

It was all about timing. I had to ensure the tide was with me to the Chichester Harbour entrance. I also had to be at the entrance  before the ebb tide coming out got into full flow, or it would be very hard getting in.

The compromise was to leave Sesley Beach at about 1.5 hours before high water, arriving at the Chichester Bar about half an hour after high tide.

As I was launching PicoMicroYacht the tide was still against me, but it almost immediately turned in my favour and I was swept past the tip of Selsey Bill.


Out to sea I could see a yacht motoring through the inner channel, by Boulder and Street. The sea was not particularly calm.



As I turned westwards, a head wind got up and it was hard rowing. I passed a series of sea defences and behind this was a windmill, a characteristic landmark.




Although I had planned for a calm sea, there was a moderate swell and I could hear the roar of waves breaking on the beach.

Closing in on the Chichester entrance, the sea calmed under the lee of the Isle of Wight and I passed between two cardinal markers warning people of wrecks on the East Pole Bank, outside the harbour.


Looking south I saw the South Cardinal mark, with the characteristic upturned triangles, signalling  to ships it is safe to pass south of them. A bird sat on the mark, making the silhouette less clear. Being high tide, it was safe to proceed.

I was relieved to reach the entrance and find only a slight ebb tide. I was able to make quick work of entering the harbour and rowing up to Mengeham Rythe Sailing Club.


Just outside Mengeham Rythe Sailing Club, with full calm restored.


Passage planning:

Tide: Dover high tide: 17.30; Chichester high tide: 17.56. Tide turns west Selsey Bill – 1-2 hours before Dover high tide. Left 16.05: arrived at Chichester bar 18.20


No comments:

Post a Comment