Other PicoMicroYacht

Sunday 1 September 2019

PicoMicroYacht being sucked into Pagham harbour and avoiding a back tow


This was a small journey between Pagham sailing club and Selsey Bill, but not uneventful.



I set off from the club with the help of two members who pulled me off the beach whilst I was getting my oars into position.


Pagham Pico and Topper sailors, two of which helped me launch

I decided to skirt past Pagham harbour just before high tide. I got there early and as I passed the entrance I realised I was being sucked in, and immediately tried to escape.


The height difference between the outside sea and the entrance can be seen - I had to grab the camera, quickly take a photograph and return to rowing 

After about 20 minutes inching forwards I realised it was futile to keep trying. I turned to enter the harbour. 

As I did I spotted a confused area with what looked like surf fast approaching.



Anxious to avoid this, I ferry glided across the western side of the entrance, to the Church Norton Spit, where there was a counter current sufficient to stop me being sucked in further. 

I paused and realised it was the best to get out for a rest. I carefully attached a long rope to the bow and disembarked, tying the rope to a convenient post.

As I looked across the entrance, I saw how dangerous it could be if you were sucked into the harbour in a small sailing dinghy with no other propulsion. The area of confusion had a sill which was creating a large water drop and tow back. 


The risk was much larger than I had imagined earlier on.

The tide started to slow, and I got back in to PicoMicroYacht, letting it drift into the harbour.


There is a notice board at the entrance to the harbour. If you look closely you can see some new red paint covers something up. It used to say 'No unauthorised boats permitted' which was technically true except that there has always been a public right of navigation on all the tidal waters in the harbour, so generally there were no unauthorised boats that would not be permitted (interesting grammatical issue). This was probably why someone painted over it.

However, even though it is legal to visit by boat in the tidal areas, some respect is needed, so I did not linger long. I rowed back to the entrance against the diminishing tide and made my escape.

The area of relatively quiet water between Pagham and Selsey Bill has been seen as a lagoon. In fact, it was here that Eric Coates was inspired to compose 'By the Sleepy Lagoon' on a still summers's evening looking back towards Bognor Regis. There are many different versions, including ones with lyrics.


Dinah Shore singing 'Sleepy Lagoon' in 1942 - this version creates a strong sense of nostalgia, probably also intended for the war effort

Soon I was at Selsey Bill and a kindly motorboat crew helped me up the ramp.


The motorboat crew

Passage details:

High tide at Portsmouth was 13.47.   A westerly going tide was expected one hour before this, with approximate slack two hours before. High tide in Pagham Harbour was forecast to be about 14.00. I set off from Pagham Sailing club after 13.00 with the aim of arriving just before 14.00. The tide was still going strongly into the harbour and this did not stop until 15.00, when I was able to escape.

After this voyage I got interested in how a back tow worked. I found this useful video, which is quite salutary and perhaps should be viewed by all tempted to mess about at weirs.


No comments:

Post a Comment