Other PicoMicroYacht

Friday 11 May 2018

Onwards to Newhaven


PicoMicroYacht was launched off the beach and gingerly passed the Brighton marina as boats were coming in and out. I looked wistfully into the marina entrance.



The wind moderated and the sea became glassy. I was careful not to run aground on this shore because the ledges could be hard chalk.



Along this coast kayaks would come off the beaches and some were fishing. It was hot.


It was only about seven miles to row and the Newhaven pier was close.  An inflatable dinghy was out and about, reminding me that go to sea, you only need a very calm day, the back of a car, a pump and of course a mobile phone with the battery working and in a waterproof phone bag (see note)


Soon I was in the harbour, having called up on channel 12 to check whether the harbour was clear, and also the marina on channel 80. I was met by a marina worker, who helped me to my pontoon. We chatted about boats. His was a 37 foot motorboat that he had recently bought to do up and live on  - sounded like hard work, but I was ever so slightly envious.



Radio use approaching Newhaven

He reminded me of the potentially rough water off Beachy Head, particularly on an ebb tide when the water coming from the east speeds up and passes over shoals. I realised that if I was to take the flood up to Eastbourne I should be well past the Head before the tide changes if there was any sort of sea or swell.


These kayakers know it can be lumpy off Beachy Head - From the Chelsea Kayak website





note: personally I would advocate lifejackets, a portable ship radio (having gone on a course to make it legal), flares, a waterproof torch and telling someone what you are up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment