Other PicoMicroYacht

Sunday 8 April 2018

PicoMicroyacht finally enters the River Wey Navigation


PicoMicroYacht did not have to wait long for the flooding on the River Wey to subside in order to continue on London's Lost Route to the Sea.

The next stage required launching at Weybridge and going very briefly on the Thames near Shepperton Lock. I was able to launch using the slipway of the Weybridge Ladies Amateur Rowing Club.


The launching site at Weybridge. The river Wey entrance is the smaller channel to the bottom left. The route of PicoMicoYacht shown in white.

That day the whole of the Thames had the 'Caution Strong Stream' warning which has the following advice:

‘We advise all boats not to navigate because of the strong flows make it difficult and dangerous.’

As I launched, I realised a large force of water was sweeping round an effective pool at the confluence of the Wey and the Thames, gushing out from the Shepperton weir.



The back eddy took me upstream and deposited me right at the entrance to the river Wey. I was soon entering the Thames Lock, the gateway to the river.


I had the luxury of the lock keeper operating the lock, done by hand. He was very helpful, with good advice about the river.  Soon I was exiting the lock, as the lock keeper used his pole to push open one of the gates.


I was now in the river Wey. As I continued onward I realised there was no stream because the navigable section in this part is actually a canal that interacts and is fed by the historical river Wey. This canal system is one of the oldest in these parts, finished in 1653 to transport goods from Guildford and Godalming to Weybridge.



At short video shows PicoMicroYacht entering the river Wey


No comments:

Post a Comment