Other PicoMicroYacht

Friday 23 December 2022

New Stretcher - Old Stretcher

In rowing there are different definitions of the word 'stretcher,' but this one seems to work for PicoMicroYacht.

Stretcher: Also known as the foot stretcher, this term refers to the area of the boat where the rowers place their feet.

https://www.ez-dock.com/blog/common-rowing-terms-you-should-know/

When Bill Colley built the PicoMicroYacht 'chassis,' he put in a very old fashioned type of foot stretcher. It comprised laminated plywood flat soles, with tacked on leather uppers, and laces. This was attached to the PicoMicroYacht chassis by adjustable t-bolts.

I spent the first five years wanting to replace this arrangement with modern rowing shoes. I never got round to this, and I then changed my mind, wanting to retain the old fashioned look, which I now really like. 

Over time, the plywood soles started to disintegrate, including breaking and deliminating. I tried to mend them, but they became beyond reasonable repair.



I tried to source replacements and found that they were no longer made. I looked at second hand ones, but these seemed to be very old and sold as antique artifacts. I realised I had to make my own. 

However, making the sole seemed too fiddly, given my wood working skills. So I found some reasonably priced wooden clogs instead. The Italian Clog company proved an excellent choice.

https://www.artigianodelcuo.io/en/mens-italian-clogs/2280-handmade-wooden-clogs-for-men-with-black-leather-band.html

It was necessary to remove the uppers from these clogs and then replace them with those from my disintegrating stretcher. I also bought and fitted new eyes, made of an alloy to cope with sea water corrosion. I retained the old fashion 'gym' laces. 

It all now needed putting together. Before this, I  marined varnished the clogs, also ensuring the screw holes were protected.

The clogs have the advantage they  are designed for walking and comfort. I hope they last at least another 14 years.

The stretcher with the heal cups removed


No comments:

Post a Comment