Other PicoMicroYacht

Sunday 21 August 2022

King's Lynn to Hunstanton and then to Wells-next-the-Sea

I stayed over night in King's Lynn, with PicoMicroYacht moored on a pontoon. The next day is was sufficiently calm to set off early for the Wash.

Although the river is fronted by many building, the twin towers of King's Lynn Minister still dominate architecturally.


King's Lynn has been transformed into a tourist town, but the industrial parts are still very active, including ships docking.


These ships face a tricky passage through the Wash and out into the North Sea, so the pilots are needed to navigate them. 

A pilot boat was coming in from the sea, the pilot finished. The pilot boat slowed so as not swamp PicoMicroYacht and then accelerated away.


The strength of the tide meant it was not that long before I had reached the Wash and was following the channel between the marker buoys. The thin land on the horizon accentuated the sea and the sky. 


Out to sea I was followed by seals, some of  whom got really close to me.



I rowed steadily across the calm sea, for several hours until I reached Hunstanton, with it's prominent seaside hotel type buildings.


Out to sea an unusual amphibious ferry was providing some fun to holiday makers.


Because the tide had gone out I had transport PicoMicroYacht across an expanse of sand. To do so I assembled my portable trailer, hauling PicoMicoYacht over the particular sand impossible for me. Nevertheless, it was a very hard pull to get PicoMicroYacht off the beach, the wheels of the trailer tending to sink in.

On another day, without being able to take any photographs because of camera failure, PicoMicoYacht voyaged round to Wells-next-the-Sea. This trip was about 17 miles, made easier by catching tide out into the North Sea and along the North Norfolk coast. I stayed about a mile out to sea to ensure a straight course and avoid and sandbanks. From here you can glimpse parts of ports against the very flat coastland.

The timing meant that when I arrived at Wells-next-the-Sea, the tide was going out, quite fiercely. Normally there is about a mile navigating between sand banks before getting into the harbour entrance. 

To avoid a rowing this against a strong ebb tide, I was able to skirt diagnonally over the West Sands, with a few inches to spare, this only possible because of the very calm weather and no  waves. 

PicoMicroYacht was beached near the lifeboat station.


No comments:

Post a Comment