Other PicoMicroYacht

Sunday 14 June 2020

Rye at low water and meeting the people from the RNLI


In a previous post PicoMicroYacht rounded Dungeness. This is the account of the end of my voyage and arriving at Rye Harbour at low tide.


As the sun was setting, I could just see the tripod that marked the entrance.



On arrival my impression was that I would have had to wait another two hours for clear water. But I was impatient to get in and I found a channel with depth of about 0.3 metre leading up the harbour entrance.



I was then confronted with a shingle bank blocking my way. Water was slopping over this bank in places, coming from the main channel in the harbour.



Rather gingerly I tested the firmness of the bank. I realised I could haul PicoMicroYacht across using my ‘bridle’ method, the weight of my body levering PicoMicroYacht forwards.

Just inside the harbour beyond the shingle bank

I was then able to row 1000 metres up the channel to the Rye Harbour Village. 

With a little distance to the slipway, the channel depth reduced to a few inches, with fast running water, making it impossible to row.

I looked up and saw a group of people on the harbour wall who were chatting amiably, having a good time. One of them asked if I needed help, but I was a bit reluctant to say yes, because it would mean them descending into the channel.

I got out of PicoMicroYacht and towed it forwards, stepping carefully over a mixture of mud and shingle until I reached the slipway. On arrival PicoMicroYacht was at a critical 0.6 metres below the slipway and stuck in the mud.

The group of people approached me again and asked if I needed help, saying ‘we are from the RNLI - We are here to help.’

I was now relieved to get help. Using a long rope to maintain social distancing we pulled PicoMicroYacht out - one large heave was all that was needed.

I was really thankful for the kindness of the RNLI group - had they been waiting for me, thinking I might be in trouble, or were they just enjoying an evening stroll?

Waiting to rescue - from the Rye RNLI website - KT Bruce

No comments:

Post a Comment