Other PicoMicroYacht

Sunday 29 March 2020

On returning to the sea


It is not too far-fetched to think that one of the greatest 20th Century adventure writers is Adlard Coles. He wrote books describing his voyages on the South Coast of England and beyond, noting the simple pleasures of yachting in a small boat. His voyages were mostly unexciting, but his detailed writing captures the essence of such sailing in a way unsurpassed by others.



Adlard Coles in later years

His classic book ‘Sailing Days’ evokes carefree days of exploration in the 1930s.



Illustration from Sailing Days

A follow up book, ‘More Sailing Days,’ was written at the end of the Second World War.



At the start of the book he describes how he sailed his 22 foot yacht called Zara from Itchenor to Wooton Creek on the day war ceased in Europe.



Zara

 His sense of gratitude is as follows:

‘I had bought the yacht in 1944 when, like multitudes of others, I was longing for the time when I could get afloat again. And so you will understand that it was a great moment in my life when a year later these fancies grew into a reality and I found myself making the journey down to the sea and to the little ship from which I had been separated.’




Adlard Coles 'on board'

PicoMicroYacht will launch again as soon as it is possible and of course also my small yacht, Lady Elizabeth.






No comments:

Post a Comment