Other PicoMicroYacht

Tuesday 10 July 2018

A smooth voyage to Eastbourne as PicoMicroYacht completes the London's Lost Route to the Sea


The voyage had started in February, when under cold clear blue sky PicoMicroYacht went through the centre of London on the River Thames. The aim was to discover London's Lost Route to the Sea,  going onwards through the county of Surrey, down to Sussex and along the South Coast, reaching Eastbourne where my fellow charity runners were completing their run along the South Downs.


The runners had long since completed their event, but I still had the last voyage to complete, from Seaford to Eastbourne.

I picked a calm day. The temperatures were in the high 20's but the voyage would only take three hours rowing. Soon I was looking back towards Seaford with the glassy blue green sea set against the white cliffs..


It was not long before Cuckmere Haven appeared, with the old coastguard cottages to the left, defying nature as the cliffs continue to crumble.


Beyond were the Seven Sisters, undualations in the cliffs between Cuckmere Haven and Birling gap.


The temptation to count them is considerable, even though I have done this many times.

With a knot of tide and a calm sea, PicoMicroYacht was making good progress as I rowed along the Seven Sisters and looked up at the cliffs to see people on the coastal path.


When I reached Birling Gap I could see the metal frame of the steps that enable people on the cliffs to reach the beach.


Beyond this was Beachy Head, the highest cliffs in this part of the coast, with the lighthouse just below on a chalk ledge.


Avoiding the ledges, PicoMicroYacht went further out to sea and I was looking inland at the lighthouse beneath the cliffs.


Rowing on a little I could look back and see the sun starting to dip in the west.



The tide began to rip past the coast as PicoMicroYacht sped onwards. I could tell the speed of the tide from the lobster pot buoys.


The smooth water finished as PicoMicoYacht passed over an underwater ledge. I realised that this is where nasty seas could develop in bad weather and was glad I had avoided them by turning back on my previous voyage.


Finally I was in Eastbourne and going past the pier.


I looked round and saw people sea swimming, thankful I had not gone further in and risked bumping into them.


The more highly trained swimmers looked like sea creatures, whilst the less practiced, with their gaudy hats and floats to attract attention, looked more human.


The voyage was now over and it was time to find the beach by the sailing club and begin the slow task of dragging PicoMicroyacht up the beach.

Earlier on in the year, PicoMicroYacht had come to Eastbourne to celebrate the finish of the FourDaysRunning charity run for CASPA. One of the group had brought along his drone and filmed PicoMicoYacht from the pier.

The musical background to this short video clip by Ronald Binge captures a hot lazy day in early summer for PicoMicroYacht.



Postscript: Just before the FourDaysRunning event, the organiser Ivor Reveley died suddenly in his sleep. With some reflection and sadness, the runners completed the event, but grateful we had come to know this very inspirational leader who had helped so many people through his positive and unselfish approach to life.


Ivor Reveley






No comments:

Post a Comment